Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, Documents required for the merger of an institute of diocesan right with an institute of pontifical right, 2001.
A small diocesan community petitioned a larger one to consider the possibility of a merger. Both institutes share the same nature, spirit, and end. The larger religious institute of pontifical right responded affirmatively to the request and both institutes involved their respective members in the spiritual, social, and canonical implications of the process. In a preliminary referendum, an overwhelming majority of religious in both institutes responded positively to the merger. The general superiors of the smaller institute wrote to the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life (CICLSAL) inquiring as to the proper procedure and necessary documents to complete the merger. The general superior received the following response:
CONGREGAZIONE PER GLI ISTITUTI DI VITA CONSACRATA E LE SOCIETA DI VITA APOSTOLICA
Prot. N. _____
Dear Sister _____,
In reply to your letter dated _____ addressed to _____, I am herewith enclosing the list of documents required by this Dicastery in case of merger of a Religious Institute with another one.
Should there be any difficulty during the process regarding your merger with the other Institute, this Dicastery is ready to help you as much as possible.
Assuring you of my prayers for the victims of the recent tragic attacks in your country, I send you my best wishes, and I remain
Sincerely yours in Christ,
MERGER OF RELIGIOUS INSTITUTES DOCUMENTS REQUIREDI. Institute Requesting Merger
1. Petition of the Superior General.
2. Brief history of the Institute (not more than two pages).
3. List of the members: name, surname, age, date of temporary, perpetual profession and their ministry.
4. List of the houses and of the dioceses in which the Religious are living.
5. Motives for requesting merger.
6. Results of voting (Referendum): in favor and against.
7. Intention of those voting against merger of their Institute.
II. Institute Accepting Merger
1. Letter of the Superior General.
2. Minutes of the General Chapter or General Council, accepting merger.
3. Brief history of the Institute (not more than two pages).
4. Number of: Sisters in perpetual and temporal profession; novices and postulants. Average age of the perpetually professed. Number of the houses and the name of the dioceses in which the Religious are living.
III. Both Institutes
1. Process toward merger: preparation of the members.
2. A preliminary agreement regarding the disposition of temporalities according to the norms of Canon and Civil Law.
IV. "Nihil obstat" of the diocesan bishops concerned, if the Institute which is requesting the merger is of diocesan right, or of pontifical right, but spread in few dioceses.
If possible, please forward to the Cash Office of the Congregation Life and Societies of Apostolic Life a deposit equivalent to 300 USA $ on account for the expenses of the entire process.
The institutes are fulfilling the above requirements and plan for the completion of the merger in 2003.
Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life, Documents required for the merger of an institute of diocesan right with an institute of pontifical right, 2001, CLSA, Roman Replies and Advisory Opinions, 2002, 7-8.